The usual response when I receive yet another parcel in the post!



Thursday 14 July 2011

BOOK - The Civil War - A Narrative - Fort Sumter to Perryville - Shelby Foote

Completed this book this morning. What a read! I cannot recommend this book enough.

This is the first part of three books thta the author began to write in the 50's and completed in the 70's,  and its a masterpiece. The authors writing style is immersive and the book unputdownable at times.

The book starts with the resignation of Jefferson Davis from the Senate right the way through to the end of December 1862. Bull Run, Shiloh, 2nd Bull Run, Antietam and Perryville are all covered, but its main strength is in the descriptions of the characters involved. I learnt so much about the various generals and commanders that I never knew before.

This is History as it should be written and I cannot wait to start the 2nd Volume tonight.

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment